Studies of Metal Dichalcogenide Formation Using Electrochemical ALD
Formation of MoSe2 nanofilms by electrochemical atomic layer deposition (E-ALD) is currently being investigated by this group. E-ALD can be used to grow high quality nanofilms by alternating precursor solutions through a flow cell to deposit the desired elements up to one atomic layer at a time. Such fine control is possible by utilizing the underpotential deposition (UPD) of elements on each other. Pure Mo electrodeposition is hampered by the presence of HER, but “induced co-deposition” is possible by electrodepositing Mo in the presence of other metal ions.5 In E-ALD of MoSe2, UPD Se plays the role of this other metal ion. Electrochemical studies for growing MoSe2 by E-ALD as well as characterization of preliminary MoSe2 films will be presented.
1. Tang, H.; Dou, K. P.; Kaun, C. C.; Kuang, Q.; Yang, S. H., MoSe2 nanosheets and their graphene hybrids: synthesis, characterization and hydrogen evolution reaction studies. J Mater Chem A 2014, 2 (2), 360-364.
2. (a) Velazquez, J. M.; Saadi, F. H.; Pieterick, A. P.; Spurgeon, J. M.; Soriaga, M. P.; Brunschwig, B. S.; Lewis, N. S., Synthesis and hydrogen-evolution activity of tungsten selenide thin films deposited on tungsten foils. J Electroanal Chem 2014, 716 (0), 45-48; (b) Jaramillo, T. F.; Jorgensen, K. P.; Bonde, J.; Nielsen, J. H.; Horch, S.; Chorkendorff, I., Identification of active edge sites for electrochemical H-2 evolution from MoS2 nanocatalysts. Science 2007, 317 (5834), 100-102.
3. Pathak, V. M.; Patel, K. D.; Pathak, R. J.; Srivastava, R., Improved photoconversion from MoSe2 based PEC solar cells. Sol Energ Mat Sol C 2002, 73 (2), 117-123.
4. Wada, T.; Kohara, N.; Nishiwaki, S.; Negami, T., Characterization of the Cu(In,Ga)Se-2/Mo interface in CIGS solar cells. Thin Solid Films 2001, 387 (1-2), 118-122.
5. (a) Chandra, S.; Sahu, S. N., Electrodeposited semiconducting molybdenum selenide films. I. Preparatory technique and structural characterisation. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 1984, 17 (10), 2115; (b) Delphine, S. M.; Jayachandran, M.; Sanjeeviraja, C., Pulsed electrodeposition and characterization of molybdenum diselenide thin film. Mater Res Bull 2005, 40 (1), 135-147.