Supercapacitor Electrodes of MnO2 and MnO2/Graphene Nanosheets Synthesized by Liquid Phase Exfoliation
In the present work a high-surface area, porous MnO2 powder was produced through the oxidation of Mn(NO3)2 by KMnO4. A poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(propylene glycol)-poly(ethylene glycol) triblock copolymer (PEG-PPO-PEG P123) was used as templating agent for the formation of a “flower-like” nanostructure (MOFN) with protruding 2D-nanostructures8. Subsequently, MOFN wére exfoliated in isopropanol at 37kHz for 3 hours, resulting in two types of materials: manganese oxide nanolayers (MOL) and a partially exfoliated material (PEMO). Following a novel approach, the MOFN were also exfoliated simultaneously with graphite resulting in a MnO2layers/Graphene hybrid (GMOH).
The obtained dispersions were sprayed onto ITO electrodes and the electrochemical properties studied by cyclic voltammetry. By testing electrodes with different thicknesses it was found out that the electrochemical utilization is enhanced for GMOH (80.0 mF.cm-2) at a thickness of 9700 nm). A capacitance as high as 300 F.cm-3 was also achieved with GMOH thin electrodes followed by 225 F.cm-3 for MOL and 100 F.cm-3for PEMO.
(1) Wang, G.; Zhang, L.; Zhang, J. Chemical Society Reviews 2012, 41, 797.
(2) Kang, J.; Hirata, A.; Kang, L.; Zhang, X.; Hou, Y.; Chen, L.; Li, C.; Fujita, T.; Akagi, K.; Chen, M. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2013, 52, 1664.
(3) Xu, C.; Kang, F.; Li, B.; Du, H. Journal of materials research 2010, 25, 1421.
(4) Bélanger, D.; Brousse, L.; Long, J. W. The Electrochemical Society Interface 2008, 17, 49.
(5) Coleman, J. N.; Lotya, M.; O’Neill, A.; Bergin, S. D.; King, P. J.; Khan, U.; Young, K.; Gaucher, A.; De, S.; Smith, R. J.; Shvets, I. V.; Arora, S. K.; Stanton, G.; Kim, H.-Y.; Lee, K.; Kim, G. T.; Duesberg, G. S.; Hallam, T.; Boland, J. J.; Wang, J. J.; Donegan, J. F.; Grunlan, J. C.; Moriarty, G.; Shmeliov, A.; Nicholls, R. J.; Perkins, J. M.; Grieveson, E. M.; Theuwissen, K.; McComb, D. W.; Nellist, P. D.; Nicolosi, V. Science 2011, 331, 568.
(6) Nicolosi, V.; Chhowalla, M.; Kanatzidis, M. G.; Strano, M. S.; Coleman, J. N. Science 2013, 340.
(7) Toupin, M.; Brousse, T.; Bélanger, D. Chemistry of Materials 2004, 16, 3184.
(8) Jiang, H.; Sun, T.; Li, C.; Ma, J. Journal of Materials Chemistry 2012, 22, 2751.