Origin of the High Cycling Stability of Sb-Based Materials in Na-Ion Batteries
Fig. 1: a) Operando evolution of the XRD pattern, b)57Fe Mössbauer spectra at 5 K of the FeSb2/Na battery, c) composition-voltage profile and d) capacity retention for FeSb2/Na and Sb/Na measured at at 300 mA/g.
The good electrochemical performances of such electrode materials are very surprising if one take into account the huge volume expansion expected from the reaction with Na (200-400 %). An XPS analysis will be presented to compare the solid electrolyte interphase (SEI) formed in the Sb based battery versus Li and Na. To understand the origin of the better performance of Sb-based electrodes i) vs Na than vs Li X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) and electrochemical tests have been carried out to carefully investigate the chemical composition of the SEI layer formed at the Sb electrode surface in the Li- and Na-system.
Surface analysis was performed by a combined XPS core peaks and quantification data analysis to establish the main components of the Solid Electrolyte Interphase film (SEI). The key observation is that the thickness of the SEI layer is strongly related to the nature of the polymer binder used in the formulation and that its chemical nature is different in Li and Na batteries. Much favorable SEI in the case of Sb-CMC/Na seems to participate to the excellent performance of this electrode.
1. M. Dahbi, N. Yabuuchi, K. Kubota, K. Tokiwa, S. Komaba, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 16 (2014), 29, 15007-28
2. L. Xiao, Y. Cao, J. Xiao, W. Wang, L. Kovarik, Z. Nie, J. Liu, Chem. Commun., 48 (2012) 3321
3. J. Qian, Y. Chen, L. Wu, Y. Cao, X. Ai, H. Yang, Chem. Commun., 48 (2012) 7070
4. S. Komaba, Y. Matsuura, T. Ishikawa, N. Yabuuchi, W. Murata, S. Kuze, Electrochem. Comm., 21 (2012) 65
5. A. Darwiche, C. Marino, M.T. Sougrati, B. Fraisse, L. Stievano, L. Monconduit, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 134 (2012) 20805
6. A. Darwiche, M. T. Sougrati, B. Fraisse, L. Stievano, L. Monconduit Electrochem. Comm., (2013) 18–21
7. L. Baggetto, H.-Y. Hah, C.E. Johnson, C.A. Bridges, J.A. Johnson, G.M. Veith, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 16 (2014) 9538-9545
8. A. Darwiche ,M. Toiron, M. T. Sougrati, B. Fraisse, L. Stievano, L. Monconduit, submitted to J. Pow. Sources,2014
9. L. Bodenes, A. Darwiche, L. Monconduit, H. Martinez,J. Pow. Sources 273, 1, 2015, 14–24