The Transition from Planar to Curved and Flexible Batteries
In this work we detail the preparation of sprayable paints using the most commonly used commercial cathode and anode materials, LiCoO2 and graphite respectively as well as a sprayable separator. Initially the component paints were sprayed on to rigid current collectors. The resulting layered cells were tested in split cells to confirm their successful operation. The paints were then applied to curved current collectors leading the transition from a rigid planar cell to a flexible cell. Through detailed electrochemical investigations we compare the electrochemical performance of the layered cells in split cells, and in pouch cells on curved and flexible current collectors. Our approach initially uses commercial cathode and anode materials to confirm the successful operation of non-planar cells. We also investigate the use of a promising alternative cathode material in the form of V2O5 polycrystalline nanorods (poly-NRs) (10). Through galvanostatic cycling and cyclic voltammetry the electrochemical performance of poly-NRs in a full Li-ion cell in both planar and non-planar arrangements is demonstrated.
This research was supported through a Science Foundation Ireland Technology Innovation and Development Award under contract no 13/TIDA/E2761.
1. N. Liu, H. Wu, M. T. McDowell, Y. Yao, C. Wang and Y. Cui, Nano Lett, 12, 3315 (2012).
2. D. McNulty, D. N. Buckley and C. O'Dwyer, J. Power Sources, 267, 831 (2014).
3. V. Etacheri, R. Marom, R. Elazari, G. Salitra and D. Aurbach, Energy & Environ Sci, 4, 3243 (2011).
4. M. Osiak, H. Geaney, E. Armstrong and C. O'Dwyer, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2, 9433 (2014).
5. J. Ren, Y. Zhang, W. Bai, X. Chen, Z. Zhang, X. Fang, W. Weng, Y. Wang and H. Peng, Angew. Chem. Int. Edit., 53, 7864 (2014).
6. C. O'Dwyer, NPG Asia Mater, 6, e139 (2014).
7. Y. Hu and X. Sun, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2, 10712 (2014).
8. H. Gwon, J. Hong, H. Kim, D.-H. Seo, S. Jeon and K. Kang, Energy & Environ Sci, 7, 538 (2014).
9. N. Singh, C. Galande, A. Miranda, A. Mathkar, W. Gao, A. L. M. Reddy, A. Vlad and P. M. Ajayan, Sci. Rep., 2, 481 (2012).
10. D. McNulty, D. Buckley and C. O’Dwyer, J. Electrochem. Soc., 161, A1321 (2014).