Optimization of Operation Conditions for Alkaline Membrane Fuel Cells
(1) The high pH environment of AMFCs allows the use of non platinum catalysts.
(2) The kinetics of the ORR reaction is more facile in alkaline environment than in acid environment.
AMFCs have been attracting worldwide attentions, and the number of report is increasing year by year.
We have already demonstrated the relatively high AMFC performances with hydrogen fuel, and have confirmed several features specialized to AMFCs, namely CO2 self-purging phenomena3), which could be a solution against serious CO2 problem in AMFCs4-6), and the effective water transport from anode to cathode side, which prevent the lack of water needed for cathode reaction7).
In this presentation, we are going to show some new aspects for AMFC operation conditions such as temperature, water management and choice of materials.
- H. A. Gasteiger , FC-EXPO 2008, Technical conference fc-10.
- J. R. Varcoe, R. C. T. Slade, E. Lam How Yee, S. D. Poynton, D. J. Driscoll, D. C. Apperley, Chem. Mater., 19, 2686 (2007)
- L. A. Adams, S. D. Poynton, C. Tamain, R. C. T. Slade, J. R. Varcoe, ChemSusChem, 1, 79 (2008).
- H. Yanagi, K. Fukuta, ECS transactions, 16, 257 (2008).
- K. Fukuta, H. Inoue, S. Watanabe, H. Yanagi, ECS transactions, 19, 23 (2009).
- H. Yanagi, S. Watanabe, K. Sadasue, T. Isomura, H. Inoue, K. Fukuta, Abstract of 216th ECS Meeting, #341 (2009).
- T.Isomura, K.Fukuta, H.Yanagi, S.Ge and C.Y. Wang, Abstract of 219th ECS Meeting, #221 (2011).