Advances in Dielectrophoresis As a Biotechnology Tool
Theoretical and experimental evaluations of fxo1 have been extensive and exploited in practical applications of DEP [1-5]. The current status of this, both in research and commercial exploitation, will be reviewed in this presentation. The factors that control the high frequency DEP cross-over at fxo2 are now under investigation. The status of the ‘exploration of this 2nd frontier of DEP research’ will be described.
1. Pethig, R. Review Article - Dielectrophoresis: Status of the theory, technology, and applications. Biomicrofluidics 4, 022811 (2010).
2. Pethig, R.; Menachery, A.; Pells, S.; de Sousa, P. Dielectrophoresis: A review of applications for stem cell research. J. Biomed. Biotechnol., e182581 (2010).
3. Gagnon, Z.R. Cellular dielectrophoresis: Applications to the characterization, manipulation, separation and patterning of cells. Electrophoresis 32: 2466-2487 (2011).
4. Pethig, R. Dielectrophoresis: An assessment of its potential to aid the research and practice of drug discovery and delivery. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 65: 1589-1599 (2013).
5. Gascoyne, P.R.C. and Shim, S. Isolation of circulating tumor cells by dielectro-phoresis, Cancers 6: 545-579 (2014).