Multi-Scale Analysis for Automotive PEM Fuel Cell System: Macro-Scale Analysis
The conventional computational fluid dynamic (CFD) technique will be used to predict the heat and mass transports in macro-scaled flow-field geometry as shown in Fig. 1. The CFD based meso-scaled Thermal Lattice Boltzmann Method (TLBM) will be introduced to give the solution of gas/liquid transport solution in the porous media. A TLMB GDL model with fixed boundary conditions, such as a constant volumetric injection over an entire GDL surface, represents ex-situexperimental conditions very well . Figure 2 shows an image of the simulation for the condensed water percolated through the GDL. A unique aspect of this work will be to integrate the TLBM GDL model with a CFD based fuel cell electrochemistry model so that the GDL boundary conditions will be dynamic and the water flux entering the GDL will be a function of the dynamic and local water production within the catalyst layer. This fully-integrated simulation will yield a direct prediction of the hydrated in-situ performance by enabling the natural development of water distribution within the GDL. This multi-scaled modeling technique will be able to facilitate the development of advanced mass transport design, which is material sets of GDL and flow field interaction, to enhance the performance and the operational robustness.
1. S. Shimpalee, V. Lilavivat, , H. McCrabb, A. Lozano-Morales and J. W. Van Zee, Intl. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 36/19, 12512-12523, 2011.
2. M. Martinez, S. Shimpalee, T. Cui, B. Duong, S. Seraphin, J.W. Van Zee, J. of Power Sources, 207/1, 91-100, 2012.
3. M. Martinez, S. Shimpalee, and J. W. Van Zee, J. of Electrochem. Soc.,156/1, B80-B85, 2009.
4. D-h. Jeon, S. Greenway, S. Shimpalee, and J. W. Van Zee, Intl. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 33, 1052-1066, 2008.
5. H. A. Gasteiger, W. Gu, R. Makharia, M. F. Mathias, and B. Sompalli, in Handbook of Fuel Cells: Fundamentals, Technology, and Applications, Vol. 3, W. Vielstich, A. Lamm, and H. A. Gasteiger,
6. H. A. Gasteiger, S. S. Kocha, B. Sompalli, and F. T. Wagner, Appl. Catal., B, 56, 9, 2005.
7. S. Shimpalee, J. Van Zee, J. Ippolito, Using Computational Fluid Dynamics to Understand the Structure of Gas Diffusion Layer in Fuel Cells, 2011 Fuel Cell Seminar and Exhibition, Orlando FL, Nov 1, 2011.