A Quick and a Flexible Hydride Vapor Phase Epitaxy Process to Achieve Buried Heterostructure Quantum Cascade Lasers
The HR-coated 5 mm long BH-QCLs of ridge widths 6-15 µm were characterized. Besides being spatially monomode, TM00, all the characterized lasers exhibited WPE of ~8-9% with an output power of 1.5 – 2.5 W at room temperature and under CW operation. The performance can be further improved by proper mounting and facet coating. As-cleaved BH-QCLs were also characterized and compared with the HR-coated ridge-alone QCLs; the former outperform the latter in their output power more than twice even though the latter were HR-coated. This indicates the good thermal dissipation in the BH-QCL with HVPE regrowth. Thus, we demonstrate a simple, flexible, quick, stable and single-step regrowth process with extremely good planarization for realizing buried QCLs leading to monomode, high power and high WPE.
This work was supported by EU FP7 MIRIFISENS Integrated Project 317884. Linné Center of Excellence, ADOPT is also acknowledged.
1. J. Faist, F. Capasso, D.L.Sivco, C. Sirtori, A.L.Hutchinson, and A.Y.Cho, Science, 264, 553 (1994).
2. O. Cathabard, R. Teisier, J. Devenson, J.C. Moreno, and A.N. Baranov, Appl. Phys. Lett., 96, 141110 (2010).
3. C. Walther, M. Fischer, G. Scalari, R. Terazzi, N. Hoyler, and J. Faist, Appl. Phys. Lett., 91, 131322 (2007).
4. L. Diehl, D. Bour, S. Corzine, J. Zhu, G. Höfler, M. Lončar, M. Troccoli, and Federico Capasso, Appl. Phys. Lett. 89 081101 (2006).
5. M.P. Semtsiv, A. Aleksandrova, M. Elagin, G. Monastyrskyi, J.-F. Kischkat, Y.V. Flores, and W.T. Masselink, J. Cryst. Growth, 378, 125–128 (2013).
6. W.Glew, J.P.Stagg, P.D.Greene, A.T.R.Briggs, S.Bradshaw, and J.H.Marsh, 3rd Int. Conf. Indium Phosphide and Related Materials, Cardiff, U.K., 1991, pp. 515–518.
7. S. Lourdudoss and O.Kjebon, Hydride Vapour Phase Epitaxy Revisited, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 3(3), 749-767 (1997).