Redox-Active Xerogels As Pseudocapacitve Electrodes with Excellent Cycling Performance
Here, we synthesized conductive redox active xerogel by incorporating 2,5-dimethoxy-1,4-benzoquinone (DMQB) on reduced graphene oxide (rGO) sheets via hydrothermal method. The physisorbed DMQB on rGO sheets via π-π stacking interactions was characterized via various spectroscopic and electrochemical methods. DMQB anchored rGO sheets exhibited high gravimetric capacitance of 1100 F/g, which exceeded pristine rGO sheets by the factor of five. Furthermore, DMQB@rGO based electrodes showed negligible IR drop, low ESR values and good columbic efficiency. Most importantly, electrodes showed negligible capacitance loss when cycled up to 25,000 cycles.
1. B. Huskinson et al., Nature, 505, 195–8 (2014).
2. K. B. Hatzell, M. Boota, E. C. Kumbur, and Y. Gogotsi, J. Electrochem. Soc., 162, A5007–A5012 (2015).
3. M. Boota, K. B. Hatzell, E. C. Kumbur, and Y. Gogotsi, ChemSusChem, 8, 835–843 (2015).
4. S. E. Burkhardt et al., Energy Environ. Sci., 5, 7176 (2012).
5. D. Vonlanthen, P. Lazarev, K. a. See, F. Wudl, and A. J. Heeger, Adv. Mater., 26, 5095–5100 (2014).