Fluorinated Electrolytes for 5 V Li-Ion Chemistry
Fluorinated organic solvents have long been investigated for many applications in lithium-ion batteries.8,9 Compared with the SOA electrolytes, fluorinated solvents bring a variety of benefits to the electrolyte. For example, fluorinated cyclic carbonate has been used as a co-solvent or as a solid electrolyte interface (SEI) formation additive for graphite10 and silicon anodes.11 Fluorinated carbonates and fluorinated ethers are reported as non-flammable electrolytes non-aqueous lithium ion batteries.12 However, there is little study about the performance of these fluorinated solvents in the high voltage Li-ion battery. Since fluorinated molecules have higher oxidation potentials than their non-fluorinated counterparts due to the strong electron-withdrawing effect of the fluorine atom, fluorinated solvents are good candidates for high voltage electrolyte application. In this talk, we will present our recent results on the fluorinated electrolytes which can significantly improve the performance of the high voltage Li-ion cell based on LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4/graphite couple.
- J.-M. Tarascon and M. Armand, Nature (London), 2001, 414, 359.
- M. Armand and J.-M. Tarascon, Nature (London), 2008, 451, 652.
- J. Wolfenstine and J. Allen, J. Power Sources, 2005, 142, 389.
- S. Okada, S. Sawa, M. Eagashira, J. Yamaki, M. Tabuchi, H. Kageyama, T. Konishi and A. Yashino, J. Power Sources, 2001, 97-98, 430.
- Q. Zhong, A. Bonakdarpour, M. Zhang, Y. Gao and J. R. Dahn, J. Electrochem. Soc., 1997, 144, 205.
- H. Kawai, M. Nagata, H. Tsukamoto and A. R. West, Electrochem. Solid-State Lett., 1998, 1, 212.
- M. Kunduraciz and G.G. Amatucci, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2006, 153, A1345.
- T. Achiha, T. Nakajima, Y. Ohzawa, M. Koh, A. Yamauchi, M. Kagawa, Hi. Aoyama, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2009, 156, A483.
- N. Nanbu, K. Takimoto, M. Takehara, M. Ue, Y. Sasaki, Electrochem. Commun. 2008, 10, 783.
- Z. Wang, J.Xu, W.Yao, Y. Yao and Y. Yang, ECS Trans. 2012, 41, 29.
- N. Choi, K. H. Yew, K. Y. Lee, M. Sung, H. Kim, S.Kim, J. Power Sources 2006, 161, 1254.
- M. Koh, H. Sakata, H. Nakazawa, A. Yamauchi, A. Tani, US Patent Application 20100310943, 22 January 2009.