From Hemoabzymes to Hemozymes: The Long but Fascinating Story of the Elaboration of New Biocatalysts for Selective Oxidation Reactions
A first generation of artificial hemoproteins or “Hemoabzymes”, was obtained by the non-covalent association of a synthetic Fe(III)-a3b-tetra-o-carboxyphenylporphyrin (FeToCPP) or of a microperoxidase 8 (MP8) with monoclonal antibodies raised against these cofactors. The later MP8-antibody complexes were shown to catalyze the regio-selective nitration of phenol derivatives by H2O2/NO2 and the stereo-selective oxidation of organic compounds such as sulphides by H2O2.
A second generation of artificial hemoproteins or “Hemozymes”, was obtained by the non-covalent association of a non-relevant protein with a tetraarylporphyrin. Several strategies were used, the most successful of which, named “host-guest” strategy involved the non-covalent incorporation of water-soluble anionic iron-porphyrins into xylanase A from Streptomyces Lividans, that was low-cost, available in large quantities, and, in addition, heat-resistant. The artificial hemoproteins obtained were found able to perform efficiently the stereoselective oxidation of organic compounds such as sulphides and alkenes by H2O2 and KHSO5.
New strategies aiming at using dioxygen as an oxidant, are currently investigated.
1. Munoz Robles, V., Marechal, J-D., Bahloul, A., Sari, M-A., Mahy, J-P., Golinelli-Pimpaneau, B., PLOS ONE 7, Article Number: e51128 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0051128, 2012.
2. Allard, M.; Dupont, C.; Munoz Robles, V., Doucet, N., Lledos, A., Marechal, J-D., Urvoas, A., Mahy, J-P., Ricoux, R., CHEMBIOCHEM 13, 240-251, 2012.
3. Sansiaume, E., Ricoux, R., Gori, D., Mahy, J-P., TET. ASYMM. 21, 1593-1600, 2010.
4. Raffy, Q., Ricoux, R., Sansiaume, E., Pethe, S., Mahy, J-P., J. MOL. CATAL. A 317, 19-26, 2010.
5. Ricoux, R., Allard, M., Dubuc, R., Dupont, C., Marechal, J-D., Mahy, J-P., ORG. BIOMOL. CHEM. 7, 3208-3211, 2009.
6. Avenier F., Herrero C., Leibl W., Desbois A., Guillot R., Mahy J-P., Aukauloo A. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2013, 52, 3634-3637