Single-Point Impedance Diagnostic for Internal Temperature Monitoring of Commercial Lithium-Ion Batteries
One technique that has been used to instantaneously monitor the state of health and internal temperature of lithium-ion batteries is Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS) [6-8]. Although this method is extremely effective, one key limitation is that the maximum detectable temperature has only been shown to be around 60-65°C. Considering that decomposition reactions typically begin around 100°C or higher, it is clear the temperature window for EIS internal temperature diagnostics will need to be expanded.
In this work, a single-point EIS diagnostic was developed using a correlation between the imaginary impedance and internal temperature of a commercial 18650 lithium-ion battery, as shown in Figure 1. This correlation was tested via several temperature vs. time programs, and Figure 2 shows results demonstrating close agreement of fit and actual temperatures up to around 95°C.
Figure 1. EIS correlation with internal temperature, along with fit, for commercial 18650 lithium-ion battery.
Figure 2. Fit vs. actual temperatures using single-point EIS diagnostic for temperature vs. time experiment on commercial 18650 lithium-ion battery.
- N. S. Spinner, C. R. Field, M. H. Hammond, B. A. Williams, K. M. Myers, A. L. Lubrano, S. L. Rose-Pehrsson and S. G. Tuttle, J. Power Sources, 279, 713 (2015).
- T. B. Bandhauer, S. Garimella and T. F. Fuller, J. Electrochem. Soc., 158, R1 (2011).
- F. Larsson and B.-E. Mellander, J. Electrochem. Soc., 161, A1611 (2014).
- D. Belov and M.-H. Yang, Solid State Ionics, 179, 1816 (2008).
- R. A. Leising, M. J. Palazzo, E. S. Takeuchi and K. J. Takeuchi, J. Electrochem. Soc., 148, A838 (2001).
- C. T. Love, M. B. V. Virji, R. E. Rocheleau and K. E. Swider-Lyons, J. Power Sources, 266, 512 (2014).
- R. Srinivasan, B. G. Carkhuff, M. H. Butler and A. C. Baisden, Electrochim. Acta, 56, 6198 (2011).
- N. S. Spinner, C. T. Love, S. L. Rose-Pehrsson and S. G. Tuttle, Electrochim. Acta, Submitted.