(Invited) Optimization of Pulsed Electrodeposited Bi2Te3-Based Thin Films from DMSO Solution: Influence of Deposition Parameters, Electrolytic Bath Composition and Annealing
The objective of the present work is to synthesize electrodeposited p and n-type bismuth telluride alloy based thin films and to optimize the thermoelectric properties similar to the bulk by tuning the composition of the films. Here, we studied comprehensively the influence of electrolytic bath content, deposition potential and annealing on the composition of as-deposited films and in turn on the thermoelectric properties. The impact of annealing temperature on the films composition, structure and the Seebeck coefficient is discussed. The annealed p- and n-type thin films exhibit a room temperature Seebeck coefficient of about 175 and -160 μVK-1 respectively, which is similar to the bulk materials . Structural and chemical investigations of the as-deposited and annealed thin films are performed with X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive X-ray analysis. Thus, we synthesize the electroplated thin films based on bismuth telluride and optimize its composition and micro-structure by adjusting the deposition parameter and annealing temperature to enhance the thermoelectric properties.
This work is financially supported by Enterprise Ireland and Analog Devices, Limerick, Ireland under Innovation Partnership project IP-2012-0197.
1. M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Chen, M. Tang, R. Yang, H. Lee, D. Wang, Y. Ren, J. P. Fleurial and P. Gogna, Advanced Materials, (2007), 19 , 1043.
2. K. Biswas, J. He, I. D. Blum, C.-I Wu, T. P. Hogan, D. N. Seidman, V. P. Dravid and M. G. Kanatzidis, Nature, (2012), 489, 414.
3. P. Puneet, R. Podila, M. Karakaya, S. Zhu, J. He, T. M. Tritt, M. S. Dresselhaus and A. M. Rao, Scientific Reports, (2013), 11, 3:3212
4. C. Boulanger, Journal of Electronic Materials, (2010), 39, 1818.
5. C. Schumacher, K. G. Reinsberg, L. Akinsinde, S. Zastrow, S. Heiderich, W. Toellner, G. Rampelberg, C. Detavernier, Jose A.C. Broekaert, K. Nielsch and J. Bachmann, Advanced Energy Materials, (2012), 2, 345.
6. C. Schumacher, K. G. Reinsberg, R. Rostek, L. Akinsinde, S. Baessler, S. Zastrow, G. Rampelberg, P. Woias, C. Detavernier, Jose A.C. Broekaert, J. Bachmann and K. Nielsch, Advanced Energy Materials, (2013), 3, 95.