Figure 1 gives the idea of multi-scale modeling approach at each component of the fuel cell. The flow-field bipoplar plates and MEA models are calculated using traditional CFD method with exisitng PEMFC model [1-3]. The micro-structure of gas diffusion layer (GDL) and/or microporous layer (MPL) are numerically predicted by Lattice Bolzmann method (LBM) [4-6]. Therfore, during the calcuation, the solutions of each iteration from CFD and LBM are required to simulteneously exchange for the next iteration until all solutions are converged, especially at the interfaces . Figure 2 shows liquid water inside GDL and GDL w/ MPL from the simulation when the macroscopic model is combined with the microscopic model under baseline operation.
- S. Shimpalee, D. Spuckler, and J. W. Van Zee J. Power Sources, 167 (2007) 130-138.
- S. Shimpalee, M. Ohashi, C. Ziegler, C. Stoeckmann, C. Sadeler, C. Hebling, J. W. Van Zee, Electrochemica Acta, 54 (2009) 2899-2911.
- S. Shimpalee, J. of Electrochem. Soc., 161 (2014) E3138-E3148.
- U. Frisch, B. Hasslacher, Y. Pomeau, Physical review letters 56 (14) (1986) 1505-1508.
- G. R. McNamara, G. Zanetti, Physical Review Letters 61 (1988) 2332-2335.
- P. Satjaritanun et al., submitted J. of Electrochem. Soc., (2017).
- S. Shimpalee et al., abstract # 2387, Pacific Rim Meeting on Electrochemical and Solid-State Science, October 2, 2016, Honolulu, Hawaii.