Recently, TiO2 has received the highest attention after Al2O3 motivated by its range of applications, including photocatalysis, water splitting, solar cells and biomedical uses. Very significant research efforts have led to reproducible synthesis of self-organized TiO2 nanotube layers by means of anodic oxidation, during which the starting Ti substrate is converted into a highly-ordered nanotubular layer by anodization in suitable electrolytes [5-7]. Although advancements in the anodic synthesis of self-organized TiO2 nanotube layers have been presented over the past years , the degree of ordering has not reached so far the level known from porous alumina . Numerous factors influence the ordering and the homogeneity of the TiO2 nanotube layers.
In the presentation, we demonstrate significant advancements in the understanding of the influence of Ti substrates on the TiO2 nanotube growth compared to the recent state-of-art. Using SEM, AFM, GDOES and optical measurements we will show how to obtain a high degree of ordering, uniformity and homogeneity in the nanotube structure of TiO2 by tailoring the anodization protocol [9, 10]. Furthermore, based on SEM, EBSD and TEM measurements, we will demonstrate how the Ti grain structure influences the lateral uniformity of the nanotube layers .
1. H. Masuda, K. Fukuda, Science, 268 (1995) 1466.
2. K. Nielsch, F. Müller, A.-P. Li, U. Gösele, Adv. Mater. 12 (2000) 582.
3. H. Asoh et al., J. Electrochem.Soc. 148 (2001) B152.
4. J. Kolar, J. M. Macak, K. Terabe, T. Wagner, J. Mater. Chem. C, 2 (2014) 349.
5. J. M. Macak, H. Tsuchiya, P. Schmuki, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 44 (2005) 2100.
6. J.M. Macak et al., Curr. Opin. Solid State Mater. Sci. 1-2 (2007) 3.
7. K. Lee, A. Mazare, P. Schmuki, Chem. Rev. 114 (2014) 9385.
8. J.M. Macak, S. P. Albu, P. Schmuki, Phys. Stat. Sol. (RRL) 1 (2007) 181.
9. H. Sopha, L. Hromadko, K. Nechvilova, J.M. Macak, J. Electroanal. Chem. 759 (2015) 122.
10. H. Sopha, A. Jäger, P. Knotek, K. Tesar, M. Jarosova, J.M. Macak, Electrochim. Acta 190 (2016) 744.
11. J.M. Macak, M. Jarosova, A. Jäger, H. Sopha, M. Klementová, Appl. Surf. Sci., 371 (2016) 607.