This work builds on our previous work of implementation of GMC for differential variables occurring in a model consisting of differential algebraic equations (DAEs), and extends it to set point based control for algebraic variables. Conventional GMC is applicable for cases in which the output is typically independent of control . We also extend it for cases for which the measured variable can be an explicit function of the manipulated variable.
As compared to the generic model control approaches implemented by previous researchers, we have implemented the same concept using direct DAE numerical solvers . The results are presented for single input single objective, and for constrained problems. The proposed approach is compared with standard control approaches and is found to be equally robust if not better.
The work presented herein was funded in part by the Advanced Research Projects Agency – Energy (ARPA-E), U.S. Department of Energy, under Award Number DE-AR0000275 and the Clean Energy Institute at the University of Washington, Seattle.
1. V. Pop, H. J. Bergveld, D. Danilov, P. P. L. Regtienand P. H. L. Notten, Springer Verlag, 2008.
2. M. Doyle, T. F. Fuller and J. Newman, J. Electrochem. Soc., 140, 1526, 1993.
3. T. F. Fuller, M. Doyle and J. Newman, J. Electrochem. Soc., 141(1), 1994.
4 .C. R. Cutler, PhD Thesis, University of Houston, Texas, 1983.
5. C. E. Garcia and M. Morari, Ind. Engg Chem. Process Des. Dev., 21, 308, 1982.
6. J. Richalet, A. Rault, L. Testud and J. Papon, Automatica, 14, 413, 1979.
7. Biegler, L.T. Cervantes, A. M. Wachter, A., Chemical Engineering Science, 57(4), 575-593, 2002.
8. J. R. Banga, E. Balsa-Canto, E. G. Moles, and A. A. Alonso, Journal of Biotechnology, 117, 407–419, 2005.
9. R. N. Methekar, V. Ramadesigan, R. D. Braatz, and V. R. Subramanian, ECS Trans, 25(35), 139-146, 2010.
10. B. Suthar, V. Ramadesigan, S. De, R. D. Braatz and V. R. Subramanian, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 16, 277, 2014.
11. P. W. C. Northrop, V. Ramadesigan, S. De and V. R. Subramanian, J. Electrochem. Soc., 158, A1461, 2011.
12. V. R. Subramanian, V. Boovaragavan, V. Ramadesigan, and M. Arabandi, J. Electrochem. Soc., 156 (4), A260-A271, 2009.
13. P. L. Lee and G. R. Sullivan, Comp. Chem. Engg., 12(6), 573 – 580, 1988.
14. R. D. Bartusiak, C. Gerorgakis, M. J. Reilly, Chemical Engineering Science, 44(9), 1837 – 1851, 1989.
15. M. T. Lawder, V. Ramadesigan, B. Suthar and V. R. Subramanian, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 82, 283-292, 2015.